Spiderzrule
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Spiderzrule

Your chance to discuss spiders

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How do I overcome fear of spiders?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
johnyc252

How do I overcome fear of spiders? Empty
PostSubject: How do I overcome fear of spiders?   How do I overcome fear of spiders? EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 12:21 pm

Spiders freak me out, and I am trying to get over it. I know that many of the posts on these forums have to deal with the identification of spiders but I figured this would be as good of a place as any to ask for tips to get over my "arachnophobia". To be honest it isn't that bad, but I have noticed that any time I'm confronted with anything resembling a poisonous spider I lose my ability to become impartial and just want to kill it. I live in Virginia and have recently come in contact with several brown recluses and black widows. Recently, I have spent many hours looking up the spiders in my area so that I am knowledgeable enough to recognize a threat in order to become better accumulated with risk factors. Any tips in this problem would be greatly appreciated. Honestly, even looking at spiders online creeps me out but I've been trying to desensitize myself to that. Am I on the right track?
Back to top Go down
eliseharp

PostSubject: Re: How do I overcome fear of spiders?   How do I overcome fear of spiders? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 3:27 am

I am the same way, except I do not really care about squishing them...that is typically their fate when I'm involved...

What helped me get more used to spiders and fear them less was looking at online pictures of the various types and educating myself about them!
Back to top Go down
ModernMoonlight

PostSubject: Re: How do I overcome fear of spiders?   How do I overcome fear of spiders? EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 3:55 am

Well, I've never had this problem because I've ALWAYS been in love with spiders, but I think that if I were trying to overcome a fear of any animal, I would try to learn as much as I could about that animal, such as how it acts when threatened and whether it is a threat to me, etc. When I saw it, I would think about these things and just observe it, trying to ignore the natural fear response. Try to see how utterly beautiful spiders are, because they really ARE beautiful. If you can see that, then maybe you wouldn't want to kill them, and instead you would want to merely watch them and then take them outside or something.

Note: the venomous ones are NOT the right ones to just pick up and take outside. Haha. If you find a brown recluse or black widow, I would not recommend trying to mess with them. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How do I overcome fear of spiders?   How do I overcome fear of spiders? EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 3:57 am

Laughing You certainly are on the right track by looking at the photos online and learning more about them. When people realise there are probably only 3 species of spiders in the US that are really dangerous it usually helps too.
glen
Back to top Go down
https://spiderzrule.forumotion.com
Arachnophobia

PostSubject: Re: How do I overcome fear of spiders?   How do I overcome fear of spiders? EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 3:25 pm

It might help to contact somebody who keeps spiders or a exotic pet store that has spiders. You can drop by on a regular basis and just look at them up close. The more you are exposed to spiders, the more your fear will subside. Just get as close as you dare, a little closer every time, and keep your muscle tension and breathing under control.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I overcome fear of spiders?   How do I overcome fear of spiders? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do I overcome fear of spiders?
Page 1 of 1