Spiderzrule
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Spiderzrule

Your chance to discuss spiders

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

large abdomen spider

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ShizzlePDX503

large abdomen spider Empty
PostSubject: large abdomen spider   large abdomen spider EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 3:24 am

I live in the Portland, Oregon area and came across this spider and when I moved it with a twig for better viewing it curled up into a ball type of position. I have seen it once before in the Portland area and haven't been able to id it via doing searches on google or what have you. Any ideas as to what it could be?

http://picasaweb.google.com/ShizzlePDX503/10222009?feat=directlink

it didn't want to come out of its curled up position for a long time, I then think that after I moved it to a nearby tree that a hungry squirrel might have came along and ate it. I have found another one that is still in its web so I might try to get some pictures of it even though it isn't as big as the one pictured in the link
Back to top Go down
ModernMoonlight

PostSubject: Re: large abdomen spider   large abdomen spider EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 5:35 am

Brown Widow?
Just because of the color, abdomen, and the fact that he/she curled into a ball.
I think the location is right, as well.
Back to top Go down
ShizzlePDX503

PostSubject: Re: large abdomen spider   large abdomen spider EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 9:19 pm

I don't see the "hourglass" marking on its underside, I checked out pictures of the brown widow on google and wikipedia. I posted a picture of it upside down at the previously posted link, so maybe that might help with id'ing it.
Back to top Go down
ShizzlePDX503

PostSubject: Re: large abdomen spider   large abdomen spider EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 9:28 am

I have managed to find the spider mentioned in wikipedia it is a European Garden Spider or also known as a cross spider...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araneus_diadematus
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: large abdomen spider   large abdomen spider EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 2:31 pm

This is a garden orb weaver, possible araneus diadematus - glen
Back to top Go down
https://spiderzrule.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: large abdomen spider   large abdomen spider Empty

Back to top Go down

large abdomen spider
Page 1 of 1