Spiderzrule
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Spiderzrule

Your chance to discuss spiders

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Been looking for info on this spider for 10 years to no avail

Go down 
AuthorMessage
zolem

Been looking for info on this spider for 10 years to no avail Empty
PostSubject: Been looking for info on this spider for 10 years to no avail   Been looking for info on this spider for 10 years to no avail EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Alright, Here's something that may end up being a challenge for even the most knowlegable spider enthusiast. There is a variety of spider in Florida that I have never been able to find any documentation on. I have encountered them fairly frequently, and have been trying to figure out what the species is and whether it is at all dangerous for about 10 years now with no luck. Just today I managed to find a live specimin while searching through a derelict park for scorpions. The camera on my computer isn't capable of taking a detailed picture since the specimin is so small (typical size for the species) so I sketched it out with my undeveloped MS Paint skills
Been looking for info on this spider for 10 years to no avail Crazy-11
The most distinguishing characteristic of the species is the pattern on its back, which vaguely resembles a tribal mask. The two black dots towards the front appear to be another part of the pattern rather than eyes, but I could easily be mistaken. The placement and size of the species' legs is also fairly unique. The second pair of legs are noticibly longer than the other 3 pairs, and it uses them as insects might use antennae or feelers. If anyone has even the slightest idea what species i'm looking at, i'd greatly appreciate the info. I'm about ready to concede that it is an undocumented spider and go looking for whoever one tells about such things.
Back to top Go down
zolem

Been looking for info on this spider for 10 years to no avail Empty
PostSubject: Vononus Ornata   Been looking for info on this spider for 10 years to no avail EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 11:59 am

Vononus Ornata, a species of Harvest Spider (the same general type of arachnid as the Daddy Longlegs). Interestingly enough, they aren't considered "spiders" at all. There are a few key differences. for instance, the noticible lack of a segmented body with a separate abdomen. They also have only two eyes as opposed to eight. They are harmless communal arachnids and apparantly have some ability to communicate with one another. They are also primarily scavengers.
Back to top Go down

Been looking for info on this spider for 10 years to no avail
Page 1 of 1