Spiderzrule
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Spiderzrule

Your chance to discuss spiders

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Filming Climbing Spiders

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
profdocmicro

Filming Climbing Spiders  Empty
PostSubject: Filming Climbing Spiders    Filming Climbing Spiders  EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 1:47 am

I'm interested in the idea of filming a spider climbing a simple board of wood with matchsticks running across it like the steps on a ladder. A smooth motion could be achieved with a simple mechanical rig and a camera with a macro lens could get fine detail of how the spider climbs and selects its movements.

after this simple climbing wall it would be cool to reduce the amount of holds and use different materials to study how the spider uses its body to scale the wall.

Which spider (preferably bountiful in the UK) would be most suited and most least vulnerable to stress? and do you think it would be simple to bait the wall or leave it as the only route from a container?

obliviously i would in no way wish to harm a spider doing these experiments.

i think it would be super interesting...i got this idea watching a spider climb the very small wrinkles on my wall paper. when it came to an apparent smooth surface it still managed to keep going AND it did some abseiling...it was insane.

any on point relevant input would be welcome

YO
Back to top Go down
glencrew

Filming Climbing Spiders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filming Climbing Spiders    Filming Climbing Spiders  EmptyWed May 08, 2013 12:03 am

I'd use a wolf spider as they are spiders that live on the ground rather than on a web and more common to find
Back to top Go down

Filming Climbing Spiders
Page 1 of 1